Gracedom Launches AFERA: African
Educational Research Association
'Working for the improvement of education across Africa through promoting and sustaining high quality educational research'
‘To further high quality educational research for the benefit of education and society. High quality research not only acknowledges its own context but also recognizes wider, transnational contexts with their social, cultural and political similarities and differences. Activities such as the conferences, season schools for emerging researchers and publishing, build on and promote free and open dialogue and critical discussion and take a comprehensive and interdisciplinary approach to theory, methods and research ethics.’
This purpose is broken down into five more specific inter-related aims:
- Raising the quality of educational research through supporting and encouraging innovation, rigour and relevance
- Encouraging the development of a research infrastructure to ensure sustainability of the activity
- Improving knowledge transfer/exchange and influencing policy and practice as well as policy on educational research
- Providing a forum for all individual researchers, through arranging conferences, seminars, networks and the website
- Promoting the use of educational research across the wider community (schools, colleges, community groups, governmental and non-governmental organisations, as well as parents, students and the general public) through effective educational and awareness raising.